[Air-l] Announcement: Annenberg conference on the Hyperlinked Society, June 9, 2006

Lokman Tsui lokman.tsui at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 11:30:43 PDT 2006

Hi,

My name is Lokman Tsui, a doctoral student at the Annenberg School for
Communication, University of Pennsylvania. I am currently busy with
helping Professor Joe Turow organize a conference called "The
Hyperlinked Society: Questioning Connections in the Digital Age."  It
will take place at the University of Pennsylvania on Friday June 9,
2006.

The organizers can support the lodging and partially subsidize the
travel of many of the attendees, though space is limited. You can
register on the website.

The website of the conference: http://www.asc.upenn.edu/hyperlinked

Feel free to email me any questions about the conference.

Best,
Lokman
--

The Annenberg Public Policy Center is proud to announce a
multidisciplinary conference:

   The Hyperlinked Society: Questioning Connections in the Digital Age

The conference will be held on Friday, June 9, 2006 at the Annenberg
School for Communication, University of Pennsylvania, 8:00am-5:15 pm.

We will fully subsidize the meals and lodging (June 8 and June 9, if
needed), and partially subsidize the travel, of those whom we can
accommodate at the conference.  Space is limited, so if you want to
participate, please apply now.

If you would like to come to the conference, please visit the
conference website (http://www.asc.upenn.edu/hyperlinked) and
register.

As the website states, the conference aims to "bring international
experts ... to explore the political, economic and social dimensions
of linking and its consequences for sharing ideas in the world of
digital media." We're defining linking quite broadly to include, for
example, tags, API mashups, and RSS feeds. Moreover, we have created
the meeting with the awareness that media convergence has led to
increased instant linking among desktop computers, cell phones, PDAs,
MP3 players, digital video recorders, and even billboards.

As you can see from the conference program
(http://www.asc.upenn.edu/hyperlinked/Program.htm) the panelists
dealing with the issues related to such developments include renowned
news, entertainment and marketing executives, information architects,
bloggers, cartographers, audience analysts, and communication
researchers.  Our goal is to make every attendee an integral part of
every discussion, and indications so far are that the entire group
will be first rate.

Again, space is limited. If you would like to come to the conference,