[Air-l] Answering questions on mailing lists & general mailing list notes

Gilbert B. Rodman gbrodman at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 16 09:15:37 PST 2006

Well, let me respectfully disagree with Nicole's respectful disagreement
with Jeremy.  The logic that suggests AOIR members should be technically
adept enough to click "reply all" cuts both ways, after all, insofar as
AOIR members should also be savvy enough not to send private messages to
publci lists.

Perhaps more to the point, though, is that the list is a space intended
for dialogue and exchange -- i.e., a multi-directional conversation --
not just one-way announcements.  It makes perfect sense to have an
announcement-oriented list work so that "reply" directs any responses
offlist.  But for a discussion-oriented list, such a setting places an
extra -- and unncessary -- burden on people who actually want to use the
list for its intended purpose.

Put a slightly different way, either way, there's inevitably going to be
a burden placed on *someone* to remember how the list is configured
if/when they choose to respond to an onlist message: either people who
want to reply offlist have to remember to use the original sender's
address, or people who want to reply onlist have to remember to use the
list's address.  Given that this list is routinely used for
back-and-forth exchanges -- and that misdirected private messages
(however embarrassing those might be) are the exception, rather than the
rule -- changing the list's current setting means that the majority of
people posting to the list would have to do extra work to protect a
minority of listmembers from having to do the exact same work.  Why
should we make it harder (even if only slightly) for people to use the
list the way it's intended to be used -- especially when it's less of a
burden overall to ask people to be careful to avoid MISusing the list?

Cheers
Gil