[Air-l] teens and myspace

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Wed Mar 1 19:03:20 PST 2006

Oh, don't get me wrong - there's still a lot of stigma against a lot
of practices and peoples, both online and offline.  Gamers (although
not all games), goths, geeks, going online to hang out with
strangers, making up "fake" worlds (from D&D to MOOs to Second Life),
reading the encyclopedia for fun, ... these are all still lame.  But
it's not the Internet that's lame... there's just a lot of lame shit
there and people who do lame shit.  From their point of view, MOOs
are *nothing* like MySpace.  We can argue otherwise theoretically but
that's the mainstream teen view.

(Of course, i have a special place in my heart for the goths, geeks,
queers and freaks... But that doesn't mean they've gotten any "cooler.")