[Air-l] Internet as medium with different sub-media or channels?

Mark D. Johns johnsmar at luther.edu
Tue Mar 14 08:03:27 PST 2006

elw at stderr.org wrote:
> there are certainly a lot of layers to this.
>
> some packets [s/packets/communicative acts] are, by their very existence,
> messages.  (e.g., ping packets or ICMP packets or syn/ack packets...)

Quite literally! The computer scientists conceive the whole internet as
a layered entity (the physical layer, data link layer, network layer,
transportation layer, etc.). Is it possible that we in internet research
need to likewise formulate a layered conception of "medium?"

In a sense, there are many who only see the hardware, not
differentiating between, for example, web surfing or IMing -- it's all
just "stuff on the computer." For others, finer distinctions become
important. Etc. Perhaps our difficulty in determining where the "medium"
exists is our confusion over which layer of the thing on which we ought
to focus???
--
Mark D. Johns, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor