[Air-l] Text book recommendations

Charlie Breindahl charlie.breindahl at gmail.com
Mon May 29 04:50:00 PDT 2006

Hi there,

I'm putting together texts for a similar course myself. I've decided
to use Lister et al. with a coursepack. The problem from my point of
view is that there is no introduction in Lister to methods in media
studies. For that I shall probably use:

Jensen, Klaus Bruhn, ed. 2002. A Handbook of Media and Communication
Research. London: Routledge.

My coursepack will probably contain most of the following combined
with excerpts from Bruhn Jensen (above):

Arvidsson, Adam. 2004. On the 'Pre-History of the Panoptic Sort':
Mobility in Market Research. Surveillance & Society 1 (4).

Frasca, Gonzalo. 2003. Simulation versus Narrative. Introduction to
Ludology. In The video game theory reader, edited by M. J. P. Wolf and
B. Perron. New York; London: Routledge.

Hjarvard, Stig. 2001. Simulated Conversations. The Simulation of
Interpersonal Communication in Electronic Media. In Realism and
'reality' in film and media, edited by A. Jerslev. Copenhagen: Museum
Tusculanum Press.

Jørgensen, Anker Helms, and Lars Erik Udsen. 2005. From calculation to
culture. A brief history of the computer as interface. In
Interface://Culture - The World Wide Web as Political Resource and
Aesthetic Form, edited by K. B. Jensen. Frederiksberg:
Samfundslitteratur.

Manovich, Lev. 2001. What Is Digital Cinema? In The digital dialectic:
new essays on new media, edited by P. Lunenfeld. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT
Press. Original edition, 1999.

Preece, Jenny, and Diane Maloney-Krichmar. 2003. Online Communities:
Focusing on sociability and usability. In Handbook of Human-Computer
Interaction, edited by J. Jacko and A. Sears. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence
Erlbaum Associates Inc. Publishers.

Tagg, Philip. 1994. From Refrain to Rave: The Decline of Figure and
the Rise of Ground. Popular Music 13 (2):209-222.

Hope this helps. Comments always welcome.

Best and thanks,
Charlie