[Air-l] query: video game music

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Thu Oct 5 14:12:09 PDT 2006

I suspect this posting from another email list (International
Association for the Study of Popular Music) won't help you much (at
least not in the near term), but a) you might contact the author of
the CFP who could help you track down sources, and b) it might be a
venue for your own work?

Best,
Sj

--------
Call for Papers: Video Games/New Media Sound

Please circulate.

"From Pac-Man to Pop Music: Digital Interactive Audio in Games and New
Media"

We invite proposals for an anthology on interactive audio, to be
published by Ashgate Publishing. The book is intended to introduce
digital interactive audio to a general audience, and to provide a basic
reader from which discussions may develop and other research will grow.
The essays will be collected from both practitioners and from academics,
and encompass a wide range of perspectives. The selection criteria will
be based on attaining the best possible papers that approach the topic
from a range of angles, and which will work together to introduce some
of the many ways to consider interactive audio.  It is intended that
this book will offer a new perspective on media music-one which will
complement film and media studies-but which will also show the necessity
of a unique approach when considering interactive audio.

Although the focus is on games, proposals for related areas of
interactive audio (e.g. mobile phone sound, internet sound) will be
welcomed. Proposal topics may include, but are not limited to;
.	History of games audio
.	Practical approaches to composition/sound design (e.g.
tutorials)
.	Reception and analysis/case studies
.	Theoretical perspectives on new media sound
.	Games sound design
.	Voiceover for games
.	Micromusic, "chiptunes" or "Bit-Hop": sociological/cultural
approaches to games aesthetics and games sound subcultures
.	New synthesis technologies
.	Postmortems on particular games
.	Research methodologies in games audio
.	Business issues for games/licensing
.	Orchestration for games/live performance of games music

Proposals/abstracts of no more than 300 words (for papers projected to
be between 15-25 pages) can be submitted via e-mail to
Collins at connect.carleton.ca,  or by hard copy mail to Dr. Karen Collins,
c/o Institute for Comparative Studies in Literature, Art and Culture,
201R St. Patrick's Building, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive,
Ottawa, ON Canada K1S 5B6

Email abstracts may be submitted as attachments in DOC, RTF or TXT
format, or embedded in the body of the email itself. Deadline for
abstracts is December 15, 2006. Notification of selection will be by
email no later than January 15, 2007, with a projected paper deadline of
March 15, 2007.