[Air-l] Timeline of ICT's which have changed the day-to-day Profesionals practices

Mary-Helen Ward mhward at usyd.edu.au
Mon Oct 9 04:03:23 PDT 2006

To start us off, I'd suggest photocopying and its availablity. I
don't know when it was first available to the public but when I was
first a student the late 1960s it cost 11c to photocopy a sheet in
the university library. Our stipend was $200 a year, so we rarely
photocopied anything. Two photocopiers in the library of a big
university, and no queues! We made notes by hand, which meant we had
to read everything that was recommended in order to do that. and only
a few carefully chosen articles were recommended.

Oddly, photocopying is still 11 c a sheet in our university library,
and once again hardly anyone uses it, but that's because almost all
the articles and book chapters that are recommended, and they are
often legion, are available online. But perhaps the art of useful
notetaking is almost dead.

M-H

On 09/10/2006, at 8:09 PM, Jeremy Depauw wrote