[Air-l] theory to explain plazes.com?

Charles Baldwin Charles.Baldwin at mail.wvu.edu
Thu Oct 12 07:49:38 PDT 2006

Jill, you may be thinking of "sousveillance," a term coined by Steve
Mann in and around his wearable computing counter-surveillance work.
Also, that _Cntrl-Space_ anthology is very useful.

I think a logical research path might be critical geography and
anthropological explorations of place? Perhaps Auge's _Non-Places_?

Also, a non-theoretical but interesting reference is Morville's
_Ambient Findability_.

Sandy

>>> Jill Walker <jill.walker at uib.no> 10/12/06 10:41 AM >>>
I just signed up for this a week or two ago, when at a conference
where I heard people talking about it. I'm quite shocked at the level

of detail - I can subscribe to RSS feeds for where individuals are
logged in from without them even having made me a buddy and thus
given me specific access. It's cool, in a way, I suppose, to be able
to see whether any of your friends are nearby, but as you say the
privacy issues are huge, and suggest to me that users are either
oblivious to the extent they're letting others knwo about them or
that there's a real shift in our willingness to be observed.

The most obvious reference is of course Foucault's theory of the
panopticon.

I'm not well-read on newer theories of surveillance, no doubt there
are many, but I'd also consider danah boyd's work on public displays
of friendship and networks - she sees this as a form of identity
performance, and that's certainly an aspect of Plazes worth looking
into. Her papers are at http://www.danah.org/papers/

I'd be interested in knowing about theory that more directly
continues from Foucault - I seem to remember hearing some word coined

- like surveillance but demonstrating that the person "being
surveilled" isn't just complicit in it but is actually deliberating
asking to be "surveilled" - was it co-veillance or something like
that?

Jill