[Air-l] Latour, ANT, and Internet Research

smork at itu.dk smork at itu.dk
Tue Oct 17 00:08:24 PDT 2006

Dear Christian

I have made an attempt and it will be published in the Februar issue of
Convergence 2007. Abstract:

Mundane cyborgpractice – material aspects of broadband internet use

This article is about the use of broadband internet access in the home.
Special attention is given to different material aspects of the internet.
Inspired by Actor Network Theory and Cyborgtheory, a concept of a mundane
cyborgpractice is developed, to outline how the internet is integrated
into the everyday life and related to other technologies. This concept is
used in mapping the everyday life through ethnographic participant
observations and qualitative interviews. Raymond Williams’ concept of flow
is used to map how the internet is integrated into the everyday life and
hereby becomes a mundane technology that bends time and space. This aspect
is underlined by the materialization of the internet. It is concluded that
when looking at the internet we have to take into consideration all the
mundane aspects of internet use and sometimes conceive of the users as
mundane cyborgs.

Best,
Søren