[Air-l] how to pin down web 2.0

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Sat Apr 21 05:59:53 PDT 2007

I would violently disagree with this categorization.  Web1.0 was the
boom where companies sold fiction to venture capitalists and walked
out like bandits.  The vast majority of what is categorized as Web2.0
was built in the rubble of the crash.  There is no doubt that the
last year has involved numerous buyouts by large corporations but the
vast majority of Web2.0 apps were built in total startup mode without
an eye for business, with a focus on people like the creators, and
with zero market research.  Blogger, LJ, Friendster, MySpace,
Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Wikipedia, Flickr, Socialtext,
Upcoming, ...  these are not big corporate projects, even if they've
been bought or expanded beyond their britches.  With big megacorps
embracing Web2.0, funny things are happening, but that's not the crux
of what this term is signaling.