[Air-L] on the Wayback Machine (was public/private [part 1 of 2])

Conor Schaefer conor.schaefer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 12:00:56 PDT 2007

Michael,

Because all your questions center around issue (a), I'll respond to
that. IMO, the recent upsets about Google Map's streetview pictures
adequately demonstrate that real-world expression or behaviors are
indeed being documented without informed consent of the "subjects." My
personal take on the matter is that the Google vans, which cruise
streets, snapping pictures and sewing them together to make an ideally
seamless electronic visual representation of a street, are only
photographing what is already public. There was a fuss made by a woman
who complained that her cat was visible in peering out the window of her
apartment. This constituted an invasion of privacy for her. I've heard
people say things like, "What's next? Soon the Google vans will be
peering in through open windows and reading book titles off our
shelves!" (See here:
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/05/30/google_maps_is_spyin.html)

As you say, Michael, bits don't like to degrade. But really, it's just
that digital culture has established a new mindset for preservation, and
this influences archival practices much more than just logistical or
economic reasoning. This means that because things can be stored
digitally, they're going to be. And that includes pictures of your cat
in your living room window just as much as it does your blog.

For related reading, I'll cite only:

Blanchette, Jean-François and Johnson, Deborah G. "Data retention and
the panoptic society: The social benefits of forgetfulness." 2007.

I do not have a publishing journal in the copy I have, which leads me to
think it was released only online, at least at first. I'm sure many
others on this list can provide similar reading on this subject.

Also, I feel compelled to point out that Charlie did not take note of
Michael's point (d). See here for more on that:
http://www.archive.org/about/exclude.php

Conor