[Air-L] archiving virtual worlds for social science research

Scott MacLeod helianth at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 09:12:11 PDT 2007

Thanks.

The value of archiving this development of 'real' virtuality and
virtual worlds is very high, I think. I compare this time in the
information technology revolution, of which virtual worlds are a very
fascinating aspect, to the cultural, artistic, and intellectual
flourishings that occurred in ancient Greece, where now only about 3%
of texts, etc. remain from that time. Many people in the future may
well try to reconstruct any elisions in data from the early
development of virtual worlds to understand this amazing developments.
So the more successful we are at preserving the beginnings of
information technology (thank you, Brewster Kahle -
http://www.c-span.org/congress/digitalfuture.asp - see Monday,
December 13, 2004, for example), the more we will be able to learn
about how cultural innovation and change work. How to virtualize the
idea of the library? Does anyone know how the internet archive -
http://www.archive.org/index.php - is approaching these questions?

Scott