[Air-L] snide, cute, ignorant, surprising

Ted M Coopman coopman at u.washington.edu
Sun Dec 16 14:50:43 PST 2007

The article reads like a lifestyle/puff piece, and as mentioned earlier, has that same "those wacky ________" angle that third party political candidates and activists get all the time. I'd bet some intern did all the reading and supplied pithy excerpts. Pity a paper like the Post has lost the ability to write straight-up news stories.

My experience with most of the mainstream press is that they get (or are given) their frame and backfill to reinforce it.

I recall a CBS reporter calling me for a story (excited!) on micro radio and she wanted me to connect her to some "grandmother in the midwest" running a pirate radio station (WTF?). Seriously, that is almost verbatim. Not "what is going on," but "show me this."

Ted M. Coopman
Department of Communication
University of Washington