[Air-l] Web 2.0 - "the machine is us?"

Sam Ladner samladner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 06:14:51 PST 2007

Hello all,

Funny -- this exact same conversation was happening on the IDC list as well.
People were amazed and impressed, others were critical, some found redeeming
qualities, and in the end, everyone seemed to agree that it was a nice
installation but could not serve as a substitute for scholarly work.

The irony I noticed on that list -- and on this one -- is that we all use
the listserv (decidedly NON-Web 2.0 technology) to engage in a fundamentally
social activity of deciding scientific (read: scholarly) norms. If anything,
then, this video has produced a Web 2.0 type of reaction, which isn't really
Web 2.0 at all, but more Kuhnian.

Does this video tell us anything about the structure of scientific
revolutions? No.
Does this video invite us to participate and debate? No.
Does this video detail the nuance behind social computing in general? No.

Great news! Guess we all still have day jobs.