[Air-l] internet community breakups

Janne Bromseth janne.bromseth at hf.ntnu.no
Tue Jan 23 14:10:30 PST 2007

Hi Ellie -
Interesting study! I was kind of forced to address the issue in my
dissertation, 'Genre trouble and the body that mattered', as 'my' mailing
list community died in the course of my ethnography, causing many
reflections on mailing lists as a social realistic genre, and the elements
required to keep them going (I'll be glad to send you the Pdf if you're
interested). In my study the issue of trust and deception is central, and
highly related to what and who list members imagine the other to be. In my
group, that was a women-only list for lesbian and bisexual women, four of
the female participants appeared to be written by one male, and this
information was perceived as very disturbing by many participants (as they
had taken for granted that the social rule for a self is 1 body - 1 online
textual self, that in addition had the 'wrong' body signs regarding
gender). In the end the list died, mostly because of the feelings of
distrust that grew as a result of the 'revelation' - but also as the list
owners did not take social responsibility for keeping a dialogue with the
list about the issues of re-organizing the list (to a non-anonymous  or
closed list, stricter routines for signing up etc. Not that it would have
prevented the same to happen again necessarily, but maybe more to make
participants feel that their feelings of being emotionally affected was
taken seriously).

There are of course many different reasons for break-ups of online
community, depending on community purpose and subject, participants'
relations to each other, organisation form, leadership etc. In addtion to
the local specific context, I found it valuable to look at these issues in
relation to specific interaction genres on one hand and the particular
challenges of the online textual context on the other. When to comes to
mailing lists and the issues of trust within contexts that do not have a
fictional purpose I found an article of Judith Donath very useful, in
Communities in cyberspace (Kollock and Smith 1999), 'Identity and deception
in the virtual community'.
  Of course there are also much to learn from studies that address
'elements of success', that preceeds all cases of break-ups, to look at the
social frames of what created the success at one point that gradually
changed (I had much use of Nancy Bayms book naturally, of the successful
fandom group she studied. In fact my group was also very successful when I
started my study, and is written as a 'from life to death story', trying to
identity what characterized the different periods and what it was that
caused the changes).

If you're interested in methodological issues of studying groups in
conflict and challenges for the researcher subject, I have also have an
article about this in Health research in Cyberspace (NOVA Publ 2006, de
Pranee Liamputtong).

Good luck!

All the best
Janne Bromseth