[Air-l] audio/video at IR conferences

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Sun Jul 1 10:23:24 PDT 2007

>  While the actual recording itself would still require hardware and
>at least one
>person to man a microphone / camera, hosting the resulting files via one
>of the online vid services could externalize that cost.

Storage is not the issue. Cameras and at least one person per room to
do recording and ensure that the hardware/cameras don't go walking
are. Given that no one wants to man a camera in one room for a full
day, it really means a team of probably about 20 or more volunteers
willing to not only record, but also manage the editing and
uploading. That is not trivial, and except for a couple of people
saying "I'll audiorecord my session" this list has not now (nor has
it ever) overflowed with those willing to offer their own labor for
the fruits they wish to reap.

It's not that it can't be done. It's that it's much more human labor
than most people recognize and far more people want the product
delivered without doing the work to create said product.

Nancy