[Air-l] social network migration

Conor Schaefer conor.schaefer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 15:10:01 PDT 2007

I think that data portability would lead to aggregation and
homogenization in the sense Gail was talking about. The mere fact that
each site demands that a user reenter fundamental facts when signing up
gives the opportunity--and perhaps even increases the likelihood--of the
user designing different personae for each site. It's this diverse part
of SNS that is so appealing to a lot of researchers, I think.

For some reason, this aspect seems "new" and unique to technology to a
lot of researchers; like this doesn't happen in face-to-face
interactions, for instance. On this subject, can anyone point me to
research which does draw parallels between the two paradigms?

-Conor