[Air-l] Is all communication commercial?

Conor Schaefer conor.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 05:07:09 PDT 2007

Robert,

Your claim is well-received--namely that, as I understand it, early
writing likely was not "commercial" in origin but rather religious,
specifically divinistic or otherwise--but I must disagree.

My dissent rests solely on the definition of "economic"; for this
purpose, let us say that the concept pertains to any activities which
concern the management (whether procurement, production, consumption, or
other destruction) of commodities (whether animals, inanimate resources,
or the craftsmanship required to work either).

In this sense, is not the practice of divination entirely economic? I
should think that the desire to know where to hunt would be great, given
the low success and high injury rates rampant in hunting groups. "Will
this hunt be productive? Should we head east or west today? Will I twist
my ankle today like Billy did yesterday?"

All these matters directly affect management of commodities, and I think
we should consider whether many religions may indeed have had economic
origins; look, for example, at the common presence of rain gods in
agriculture societies. If an economic thread to early communication can
be perceived in foraging societies, then I think its prevalence is so
intriguing that the possibility of its universality is something we must
at least entertain.

I will here clearly state that I do not think ALL groups of humans can
be said to have engaged in divination (economic) practices, but I would
be receptive to a more liberal interpretation of my argument which would
accommodate, and perhaps even encourage, such application.

-Conor