[Air-l] "If you don't belong ..."

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sun Jun 24 06:30:24 PDT 2007

Someone on the list wrongly ascribed to Lauren Squires the following
quote:

"If you don't belong to some kind of social network, you soon may not
belong anywhere."

Instead, it was Lauren (I think) who called to our attention the quote
which comes from Daniel Tynan's article for US Airways magazine, June 07.

I love the quote as a straw being (formerly known in less PC times as a
straw man), and I plan to start my next article with it -- a review of Lin
Freeman's history of social network analysis.

Why do I love it? Because a generation ago (in human years, not ICT
years), we could barely sell the concept of Social Network to anyone. Now,
it has been Tynan-ized.

 Barry Wellman

  Barry Wellman   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology   NetLab Director
            For fun -- updating songs, movies and history:
            http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php
            Elvis wouldn't be singing Return to Sender now