[Air-l] audio/video at IR conferences

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Tue Jun 26 12:05:34 PDT 2007

> usual annual question:
> will there be audio/video recordings at an Internet Research conference?
> usual annual response:
> 'no' usually phrased as 'the conference group/exec will discuss it',
> which usually means 'how much will it cost?', which resolves into,
> 'well, yes it can be done, but only if you donate a large sum of
> money, and or do it yourself', which usually resolves into 'no, it
> will not happen.'

folks who're interested in videoing IR should spend a couple of hours
reading the blogs of the folks who have been doing the video of the
Debconf series of conferences.  [starting point -
http://layer-acht.org/slides/20070122_debian-meetings-archive_SLUG.pdf ]

they've invested SERIOUS time, hardware, and resources into making it
work.  it is a *hard* problem - completely nontrivial.

I like video as much as the next person - probably more - but this would
be a huge committment.

> Personally, I'm against recording any session other than keynotes.  I
> think photographs, blogging, and a back-channel are great additions, but
> public recording of session stifles the communal atmosphere where people
> can be frank and collegial.

Pretty much on-board with what jeremy just said.  The backchannel is
particularly useful, IMHO....

--e