[Air-l] turnitin issue

Douglas Eyman eymand at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 8 21:40:11 PST 2007

Marj Kibby wrote:
> There is no assumption of guilt

Well, that depends on who is using the system and how it is used. In most cases
(in my experience), it's used in place of actual teaching about the reasons we
use attribution, and  how it is done properly (which is dependent on the context).

> Students are required to submit to Turnitin to check that their referencing
> is accurate. In the same way that they are expected to use spelling and
> grammar checks.

And just like spelling and grammar checks cannot teach spelling and grammar,
turnitin by itself can't teach accurate referencing. In fact, it can't tell the
difference between properly quoted and attributed citations and plagiarism
(which is why the teacher always has to look over the results) -- all it does is
say X% of text exactly matches and here it is. So turnitin is neither designed
for nor can be used to teach accurate referencing (and how could it know what
the conventions for that are in different disciplines, fields, institutions,
cultures? Turnitin, as far as I know, has not reached the level of artificial
intelligence necessary for it to carry out that goal).

> Turnitin reports are not accessed by staff unless there is reasonable cause
> to suspect that the work is plagiarised, and Turnitin reports cannot be used
> as the sole evidence of plagiarism

I'm presuming that that is that case at your particular institution -- and I'd
say that's good policy. But unless it is used in pedagogically sound ways, the
only real use for turnitin is the policing function -- which does indeed presume
guilt -- do you investigate and invade the privacy of every citizen in a city in
order to prevent robberies? Not in democratic societies.

I should say that I am not necessarily opposed to turnitin.com per se, rather it
is the indiscriminate, untrained, and/or pedagogically unsound use of it that
concerns me. It catches plagiarism, but it also undermines the authority of
student authors and it facilitates faculty who are happy to continue tasking
students with poorly designed assignments that almost beg smart students to go
ahead and plagiarize rather than wasting their time.