[Air-l] turnitin issue

Hugemusic hmusic at ozemail.com.au
Thu Mar 8 23:56:22 PST 2007

Wait a minute:

It can't be a copyright *violation* if the student consents to the copying
as part of the submission  process ... it's a licenced copy/adaptation (the
hash is an adaptation, but you can consent to an adaptation) ... assuming
the student is fully informed that this is what's happening ... which may or
may not be the case.  As long as the copy isn't used for any purpose other
than that stated, there's no violation of anything to do with copyright.  If
Turnitin doesn't exploit the students' IP by selling the copies and not
compensating the student there's nothing the student can object to ... but
arguably that's what's happening ...

Does the student understand what will happen to the copy?  If so, they can
refuse to licence the copy but they have to bear the cost of that refusal
... which, as Dan points out, makes it an issue of coersion ... which seems
to be the real issue here.  But institutions 'coerce' their students on
different things all the time, like having to pass assessments, parking
restrictions, payment of tuition fees ...submit assignments in English ...
referenced in a particular style ... and that's really only an
administrative requirement.

As far as I'm concerned, it's like drug testing: no-one's assuming anything
until you refuse to submit to the test. Once you refuse, that's grounds to
suspect their may be a problem ... and work on the basis that there might be
until it's proven that there isn't.

I doubt there's any real legal problems, since the copying is done with
consent on submission (assuming Turnitin's lawyers are sharp enough to have
thought of that one), but the ethical issue of coercing students is far more
scary, IMHO.  Is it reasonable to ask students to consent to a copying
process that doesn't deny them consideration (assuming that's what's
happening) and leads to a fairer system for all?

What's the difference between that and requiring them to submit in a
particular style of English?  Or on paper?  Or on a particular topic?  Or by
a particular date???

Cheers,
Hughie

(sorry, Barry, can't help you.  But it's a good issue).