[Air-l] copyright and new media scholarship (was turnitin issue)

burkx006 at umn.edu burkx006 at umn.edu
Fri Mar 9 09:05:54 PST 2007

On Mar 9 2007, Douglas Eyman wrote:

>Your comment about the Supreme
> Court's actions also helps us to think through this (although it
> unfortunately weighs on the side that we shouldn't support academic work
> that uses remixing or engages new media as sources of quotation -- our
> status as a free (non-commercial) academic journal wouldn't have much
> impact on a fair use ruling it seems).

Let me make certain my comment was not misunderstood. The question of
whether you make money or don't make money, whether you charge for access
or don't charge for access, is not terribly important to the analysis,
except perhaps as it indirectly affects the fourth factor in the statute.

The fact that you are engaged in schlolarship, criticism, and commentary --
that you are an academic journal -- is *enormously* important, especially
for the second factor in the statute.

Neither is completely determinative.

And just to make your life more interesting, I will mention in passing that
since the U.S. is the only country (at least, that I am aware of) with a
fair use provision(*), to the extent that your journal is accessed in other
jurisdictions, your mileage will vary enormously.

(*) Let me forestall the British, Canadians, and Australians from
exclaiming, "But we have fair dealing!" by emphasizing that fair dealing
and similar systems are NOT fair use.

DLB

--
Dan L. Burk