[Air-l] turnitin issue [and privacy+security of students]

Douglas Eyman eymand at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 9 14:59:34 PST 2007

Bram Dov Abramson wrote:
> It's hard not to wonder whether alternatives to Turnitin are in the offing.

mydropbox.com, an alternative to turnitin.com that does basically the same
thing, restricts the database to the institution -- that is, student texts are
compared to all the publicly available texts and to student texts generated at
their own institution; the databases (as I understand the system) are housed
institutionally as well, so the privacy and IP issues seem a little better
thought out for their system. Unfortunately, it's not as well marketed or
supported as turnitin.com.

I think the kinds of locally-instituted open source tools for doing this kind of
work  that you suggest below could be designed to be primarily teaching
applications (rather than detection software). Now that would be a big leap forward.

Doug