[Air-l] naturally occurring conflicts?

Joshua Raclaw Joshua.Raclaw at Colorado.EDU
Wed Mar 28 10:28:54 PDT 2007

I think your use of 'naturally-occurring' is a little confusing because both forms of conflict that you've described fall under the rubric of 'natural' conversation (especially in the conversation analytic framework that you've chosen to use), and because classifying flaming as 'unnatural' privileges all other forms of verbal conflict as more common or intuitive to speakers.  You might want to focus more on what you see as intentionality or provocation rather than naturalness (although this carries its own set of problems when thinking through the CA notion of procedural relevance).

Joshua

Joshua Raclaw - PhD student
Department of Linguistics
Culture, Language & Social Practice