[Air-l] turnitin issue

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Thu Mar 8 19:47:57 PST 2007

> A few other notes to consider: Turnitin does not store the actual paper.
> They store a hash of the paper, weakening the argument that IP is being
> violated.

[A *hash*?  Really, come on.  A whole-document hash, certainly not, given
their output and use.  A hash of paragraphs or sentences?  Maybe - but
that gets us closer to being able to reconstruct the actual text, or at
least assess similarity.]

If I were building an online plagiarism detection service, using very well
understood information retrieval methods - term-document matrices,
document vectors, and the like - I would find it fairly difficult NOT to
store the student's work in a re-constitutable form.

--elijah