[Air-l] turnitin issue

burkx006 at umn.edu burkx006 at umn.edu
Thu Mar 8 21:07:59 PST 2007

On Mar 8 2007, Douglas Eyman wrote:

> If you put in a substantive amount of the "plagiarized text," the hash
> that is stored is output as identical to the original work that has been
> collected by the company. In other words, if you took all of a book that
> someone else has written and put it into a database, if when you get the
> output it reads the same, then the IP issues are still the same

I'm afraid I tend to disagree -- that is not what the cases say
(specifically, see here:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=949937&high=%20Mereology
)

What you have described is essentially the Google Book Search project. The
strongest argument for Turnitin as "fair use" is the one that Google has
asserted.

DLB

--
Dan L. Burk