[Air-l] turnitin issue

burkx006 at umn.edu burkx006 at umn.edu
Fri Mar 9 14:16:07 PST 2007

Hm, interesting.

I mentioned before that Lucas Introna has been investigating and writing
about Turnitin. Since the matching algorithm is unknown to the users, he
has been probing it as a "black box" by submitting systematically altered
passages of text. He reports that certain kinds of word changes, and even
single word changes at certain positions, will be flagged by the algorithm,
while word changes at other positions cause the copied passage to pass
unnoticed.

I thnk what troubles Introna (and I tend to agree) is that we don't know
the reasons that some passages are flagged as possible plagiarism matches
and some are not. Relying on the service essentially cedes the decisional
criteria to an unknown programmer.

Since you deliberately "seeded" your exercise with errors, you knew what
you expected to be flagged for the students to review. But based on
Introna's reports, I'm uncertain whether the service would work as well,
for example, in the exercise to have students assess their own papers for
acceptable citation.

DLB

--
Dan L. Burk