[Air-l] we need a better word than lurking

James Howison jhowison at syr.edu
Thu May 10 15:35:26 PDT 2007

There's an excellent, well known study of the Apache user support
lists which, if I may hazard a summary, found that 98% of the time
spent with the list was reading, not posting, and that the primary
motivation for being on the list, by far, was learning by reading
(thus observing the question/answer exchanges).  This was enough to
keep enough people on the list so that questions could be answered
without great effort because one of the group attracted by reading
knew the answer 'off the top of their head'.

So the lurking, and the learning by lurking, is crucial to the
'critical mass' of the list.  Learning by talking/doing, as John
writes below, is great, but learning by reading is also crucial to
the effectiveness of these task-oriented communities.
Lakhani, K. and von Hippel, E. (2003). How open source software
works: “free” user-to-user assistance. Research Policy, 32:923–943.

http://opensource.mit.edu/papers/lakhanivonhippelusersupport.pdf

Cheers,
James