[Air-l] Observation, and texting in noisy places

richard.ling at telenor.com richard.ling at telenor.com
Fri May 18 05:41:21 PDT 2007

Hi,

We have a little (not very generalizable) data about this.  Based on a
convenience sample (read: the students in different classes) Naomi Baron
and I found that there is almost no calling within the same location
(less than 1%.  The respondents reported about 10% of their calls were
within the same building and about 2% outside but within eyesight.

About 40% of the calls were to people who were not immediately nearby
but within 5 miles.  A little over 10% were to people who were 5 to 30
miles away and the remaining 33% were further away.

Thus, while there is a little bit of local calling, it is those people
who are a little further away who are the most common interlocutors.

Rich L.