[Air-l] Social media in rural communities

Alexis Turner subbies at redheadedstepchild.org
Tue May 1 12:57:09 PDT 2007

James, you are right to call it a private problem.  As with any terminology, it
ends up, ultimately, being a matter of personal preference.

In my experience and observations of others, I would say that it depends on the
situation more than the terminology itself.  Reading a book on "queer theory"
is a largely different experience than having the word "queer" flung at you in a
drive-by flaming (drive-by flaming - in which a person too cowardly to actually
insult you to your face does it at you in a car passing at 30 mph).  This is
perhaps the same reason why I am able to call my male friends fags, while
a straight person might be greeted with hostility on doing the same.  Not unlike
a joke falling flat in e-mail because of a lack of visual or other situational
clues.  The context is as much, if not more important than, the vocabulary
itself.  A word is nothing more than a collection of sounds.  What the
word is used *for* is where its meaning lies.
-Alexis