[Air-l] indie music scenes + internet

Hugemusic hmusic at ozemail.com.au
Wed May 9 16:49:27 PDT 2007

Holly.

Great topic!

A response from my own (on-going) survey of indie musos (see
http://polling.nationalforum.com.au/index.php?sid=4) that seemed related
(and very common):

"26. In 100 words or less, please describe what you see as the biggest
barrier to growing your career as an artist:
the market for our stlye is not huge in tasmania. so we have to find
international clients. "

For the record, "style" in this case means "Dark/Experiental/Ambient" ...
respondent is Male, 17yo, quite active in Internet promotion of his band.
Make of that what you will.

To put people who would otherwise not get this into persepctive, Tasmania is
Australia's smallest state (pop <1million) and is notoriously conservative.
It's the one that attracts the redneck jokes about in-breeding and so on ...

Hope this helps.  Feel free to contact me for more info if you like.  My
survey is not specifically about location, though that's one important
element ...

Cheers,
Hughie