[Air-l] Doctorow on Dealing With Trolls

Suzana Sukovic suzana.sukovic at uts.edu.au
Wed May 16 21:01:50 PDT 2007

Aggression seems to be defined by other list members based on someone's
expressions of views (not only on views). The norms are defined by the
majority and/or the most vocal members. For research, it is important to
take into account that 'lurkers' and 'trolls' are words with strong
connotation. They may describe some behaviours, but what else is in it,
needs to be unpacked and probably labeled differently. Otherwise, we may
keep using the same word when talking about different things. I apologise
if I repeated what someone already said. I haven't read the whole thread
(one of the benign reasons for lurkers to remain in the shade).

Mary-Helen sent her response while I was writing this. Verb or noun? Maybe
being a 'troll' means that's who you are, 'trolling' is something you've
done, maybe once. It's like saying to children that something was
unacceptable behaviour, not that they are unacceptable people.
Suzana