[Air-l] Doctorow on Dealing With Trolls

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Wed May 16 21:19:25 PDT 2007

> Mary-Helen sent her response while I was writing this. Verb or noun? Maybe
> being a 'troll' means that's who you are, 'trolling' is something you've
> done, maybe once. It's like saying to children that something was
> unacceptable behaviour, not that they are unacceptable people.
> Suzana

And what do we call a troll who, once booted off of a list, then
resubscribes under a pseudonym, only to be booted off again - but then who
manages to resubscribe under still another pseudonym, but this time, despite
being recognized as the original troll by many members of the list (because
of similar argumentative and rhetorical moves, writing style, etc.), just
barely manages to avoid getting booted because he largely remains within the
boundaries of proscribed behavior - although he also manages to spam the
list with adverts for his own conference?

curiously,
- charles ess