[Air-l] students on lists

Paul Teusner paul.teusner at rmit.edu.au
Thu May 17 19:20:45 PDT 2007

Me too. AoIR has a lot or friendly, helpful and humble people on the list.

I feel the need to say though, at the risk of getting into trouble, that
sometimes I read an email and feel that I shouldn't get involved in the
discussion. And it aint that anyone's claiming to be a top expert on the
topic, or that only academics in the specific field are allowed an opinion,
but just by the fact that an email is signed off with a Dr or Prof in front
of the name of the author, or that the email ends with a list of the
author's credentials.

I'm not "put off" by the discussion or have negative feelings about the
email's author, and the author hasn't set him or herself up in a way that is
not welcoming of a response, but there's a little voice in my head that says
"Dr or Prof said such-and-such, so don't say anything".

And I know that this issue is mine and only mine, and that only I have put
that little voice in my head, but I think many students like me also have
that little voice. I also fail to see the benefit of placing that Dr or Prof
in their email signature, and wonder why people do it (are they encouraged
by their university or bound by a protocol to do so?).

paul teusner