[Air-l] laptops and Internet access in class

T. Kennedy tkennedy at netwomen.ca
Mon May 21 09:05:42 PDT 2007

... not everyone's parents pay for their adult children's education (some
just can't whereas others won't), which means that many students have to
work part time (sometimes full time) in order to pay for their schooling.
No offence Mark - but if I saw this on the syllabus "Someone is investing
large sums of money in you so that you may attend this college. Therefore,
maximizing the benefit of this opportunity should be your primary occupation
during your time here." I would be offended.
On several occasions I have had students approach me to say that they will
be absent from class because of work obligations (and I am aware that they
are doing so in order to pay tuition - which I might add, has increased
dramatically in Canada over the last 10 years). It's a catch-22 as they need
money to attend class, but need to attend class to get their grades. In some
cases I've offered other ways to participate in class - such as blogs/web
work or in class presentations etc etc.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for attendance - F2F interactivity is very
important, but there are reasons for occasional student absences and other
ways to participate and be interactive.

"my goal is to instill a work ethic that privileges the academic over other
aspects of college life."
Sounds Calvinist and strangely Weber like - but what other aspects of
college life do you think are prominent? Partying?

Tracy