[Air-L] Why aren't more websites accessible?

Emma Duke-Williams emma.dukewilliams at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 06:10:37 PST 2007

On 28/11/2007, Caroline Haythornthwaite <haythorn at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> You might email this person -- Jon Gunderson -- he has taught courses in our
> faculty (Graduate School of Library and Information Science) on designing for
> usability and is disability services officer at U. of Illinois.
>
> https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/jongund/www/vita-long.html
>
> /Caroline

Jon Gunderson is quite active on the WebAim list, which you'd probably
find  useful. (http://www.webaim.org/discussion/)
One thing that I think is useful about that list, is that they also
consider the needs of all users - those that require screen reading
technology for visual impairment are a pretty tiny percentage - when
you consider those that need screen enlargement, appropriate contrast,
dyslexic users etc., etc.,

If it's any consolation & it probably isn't, here in the UK, a survey
about a year ago (I think for International Day of the Disabled person
last year), found that the vast majority of Government Websites in the
UK (and also EU) weren't fully accessible in one way or another.
--
Emma Duke-Williams:
School of Computing/ Faculty eLearning Co-ordinator.