[Air-L] gov. corruption issues Re: Air-L Digest, Vol 39, Issue 10

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 9 19:01:09 PDT 2007

I think you are confusing my points about legal culture with the
corruption issues and I wasn't saying anything about corruption
really sorry if that wasn't clear.

I will possibly approach Lessig with an open mind for his new issue.

I really wasn't trying to say that Canada is  clean but I have to be
careful here because I am a government employee. I will say that I am
really against unfair or corrupt hiring practices in Ottawa ( the
city, where many of us work in government) and I think I can say that
corruption has existed and the popular record would show that(corrupt
hiring) on a high public record level whereas the low level clerks
like myself would pass unnoticed  because privacy laws would protect
our employment records. But if it did exist would offend me.

You can say you want "fair laws" and that is I think universal
between all cultures.

But to place Canada in a list with Pakistan is is not right given
Pakistan is only recently moved out of most corrupt country status
and the joke in Pakistan is apparently they can't even get that right
now.

a thorny issue I better go check what Lessig is saying but if I come
back and say "oh another American pointing out how bad the rest of
the world is" then my point will only be stronger. Just because the
web makes things world wide does not make all issues global.

Peter Timusk,

B.Math statistics (2002), B.A. legal studies (2006) Carleton University
Systems Science Graduate student, University of Ottawa.
just trying to stay linear.
Read by hundreds of lurkers every week.