[Air-L] Visualization tools - my solution

Ismael Peña-López ictlogist at ictlogy.net
Wed Apr 2 03:50:16 PDT 2008

Hi,

Some weeks ago I asked for some advice on visualization tools.
For those interested (there seemed to be some of them ;) I thought I'd
forward to the list the solution I took.

And the winner is...
Many Eyes (http://services.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/app)

It is not _exactly_ what I was looking for, as Java is more demanding than
flash (when loading) and it's a hosted service, not something you can do
on your desktop and upload to your site. But it does work.

Yes, there's the option to embed it on your site. But, with a little bit
of "codespotting", you can even _upload_ the result to your own site, so
you you're not losing your work when IBM shuts down the site (things
happen, call me paranoid).

So, just a test can be seen here:
http://services.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/view/SQYskMsOtha662mEDLGxM2~
and the corresponding upload to the fully own hosted version:
http://ictlogy.net/maps/ismael_pena-lopez_research_interests.php

As said, just a test, but it works quite cool.

Thanks a lot for those that answered back my first e-mail.

Best,

Ismael Peña-López
ICTlogy.net

Public Policies for Development and ICT4D
Faculty of Law and Political Science
Open University of Catalonia