[Air-L] Visualization tools - my solution

Jim Porter porterj8 at msu.edu
Wed Apr 2 07:42:17 PDT 2008

Ismael,

I missed your original post, so am not sure what kind of advice you were
looking for. But I've been working on a bibliography for visualization and
have found the following sites useful:

Visual Complexity
http://www.visualcomplexity.com/vc/

Data Visualization: Modern Approaches (Smashing Magazine)
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/08/02/data-visualization-modern-approac
hes/

Sixteen Awesome Data Visualization Tools
http://mashable.com/2007/05/15/16-awesome-data-visualization-tools/

A Periodic Table of Visualization Methods
http://www.visual-literacy.org/periodic_table/periodic_table.html

Jim Porter

> Hi,
>
> Some weeks ago I asked for some advice on visualization tools.
> For those interested (there seemed to be some of them ;) I thought I'd
> forward to the list the solution I took.
>
> And the winner is...
> Many Eyes (http://services.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/app)
>
> It is not _exactly_ what I was looking for, as Java is more demanding than
> flash (when loading) and it's a hosted service, not something you can do
> on your desktop and upload to your site. But it does work.
>
> Yes, there's the option to embed it on your site. But, with a little bit
> of "codespotting", you can even _upload_ the result to your own site, so
> you you're not losing your work when IBM shuts down the site (things
> happen, call me paranoid).
>
> So, just a test can be seen here:
> http://services.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/view/SQYskMsOtha662mEDLGxM2~
> and the corresponding upload to the fully own hosted version:
> http://ictlogy.net/maps/ismael_pena-lopez_research_interests.php
>
> As said, just a test, but it works quite cool.
>
> Thanks a lot for those that answered back my first e-mail.
>
> Best,
>
> Ismael Peña-López
> ICTlogy.net
>
> Public Policies for Development and ICT4D
> Faculty of Law and Political Science
> Open University of Catalonia

James E. Porter
Professor, Department of Writing, Rhetoric, & American Cultures
Co-Director, WIDE Research Center
http://kairos.wide.msu.edu/porter/