[Air-L] open-access is the future: boycott locked-down academic journals

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Fri Feb 8 13:37:15 PST 2008

We're still talking about open-source journals that would utilize
some sort of reader rating system to make editorial decisions, right?
Why would powerful academics leave the current set of journals, over
which they have total editorial control, for journals over which they
would have considerably less control, considering that journal
article publication is the main source of academic capital for most
scholars? No one ever gives up power willingly.