[Air-L] open-access is the future: boycott locked-down academic journals

Gilles Frydman gfrydman at acor.org
Fri Feb 8 13:44:23 PST 2008

There is an amazing precedent in the field of mathematics publishing,
demonstrating that if you build it, they will come!  On their own.

Look at the story of Grigori Perelman, who received the Fields Medal
(the highest prize in mathematics) for solving the Poincare
Conjecture. He published his solution to this 100 years old problem in
3 articles over an 8-months period in 2002-2003. He specifically
published the 3 articles  ONLY on arXiv, the open-access repository of
e-prints in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Quantitative
Biology and Statistics. (for background information on arXiv.org: http://people.ccmr.cornell.edu/~ginsparg/blurb/)

His experience has transformed completely how mathematicians think
about peer-reviewed publications, creating a big push for open-access.

--
Gilles Frydman
ACOR.org