[Air-L] anthropology is not a science?

Andrew Calabrese Andrew.Calabrese at Colorado.EDU
Mon Jan 14 15:43:03 PST 2008

I agree that it is a problem that many social scientists accept a reified
definition of science, and that it is often out of sync with scientific
work. I also agree that there is a political dimension to defining
scientific disciplines. Bourdieu argued that a principle issue at stake in
defining disciplines is scientific authority, defined inseparably as both
technical capacity and social power. P. Bourdieu, 'The Specificity of the
Scientific Field and the Social Conditions of the Progress of Reasons,"
Social Science Information, Vol. 14, no. 6 (1975), pp. 19-47.

-----Original Message-----
From: air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org
[mailto:air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org] On Behalf Of Christian Nelson
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 4:20 PM
To: air-l at listserv.aoir.org
Subject: Re: [Air-L] anthropology is not a science?

I'm not surprised by the definition of science as the statistical
study of relationships between variables. Lots of academics in the
social sciences define it so. But that doesn't make it a good
definition. Even the kind of scientists that variable analysts in the
social sciences look up to as role models--those in biology,
chemistry and particularly physics--do not restrict themselves to
statistical methods for the investigation of causal relationships.
And more than a little of the sociology of science literature
indicates that scientists of many stripes often observe their
definition of science in the breach. Indeed, definitions of science
aren't always that useful for describing science, often because they
are really created to perform political "boundary work" that denies
some people the scarce resources available to "scientists" (whatever
they are) by such entities as universities, grant agencies, etc.