[Air-L] Permission to quote air-l list

Conor Schaefer conor.schaefer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 13:53:15 PST 2008

It is proper to remind those on this list that they will be quoted for
two reasons: 1) to compliment them and inform them that their comments
will in fact be quoted and 2) to honor the integrity of their input and
respect their contribution by asking whether it is OK to quote reproduce
their statements (this encourages future contributions perhaps more than
the first point, which is more professional, rather than personal).

I don't believe that "much of the Internet resembles face-to-face
communication." Web 2.0 in fact rests on eschewing that paradigm, I
think, reminding people that they are coming together for public
discourse, not private. Perhaps in the early days of Usenet,
communication was still private, but these days individuals gather
around digital places online, domains known to certain circles, open to
the world, regardless of whether viewers have registered with the
service. I call "private" what can't easily be traced by higher powers
to me. I call "public" what can be traced to me without my consent, and
thus, if I were a conspiracy theorist, I would watch my tongue in the
coffee shop and not in the woods, when conversing with a good friend of
mine.

This forum is designed in a way, let's be honest, to propel our own
ideas outward, through others, into perpetuity. I don't think anyone
Internet-savvy enough to be on this listserv needs to be reminded that
many others can and perhaps will view their comments. I do think,
however, that at list a few people here would get satisfaction from
being asked whether their comments may be republished.

There are instances when I think certain individuals operate under the
assumption that communicating digitally through unsecured means is
"private." I don't think anyone on this listserv subscribes to that
delusion.