[Air-L] avatar research ethics

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Sat Mar 8 05:38:52 PST 2008

the methods do determine whether or not you need to seek irb approval,
that was my point on the prior discussion.    if you are studying
objects or documents, you don't need irb approval.  you need irb
approval when you have a human subject, which is defined as a living
person that you intervene with or collect private information from.
where intervention is defined as changing the environment,
manipulating the person, and  interaction and interaction is defined
as interpersonal contact or interpersonal communication.

On Mar 8, 2008, at 7:33 AM, Radhika Gajjala wrote:

> exactly.
> could we study the puppet - inert?
> what would be the point?
> textual analysis and semiotic analysis does have a point - but we dont
> ever really get IRB permission for that...
> so its the methodology that leads to the need or not?
>
> On Mar 8, 2008

jeremy hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (www.cipr.uwm.edu
)

wiki.tmttlt.com
www.tmttlt.com