[Air-L] Online research ethics

Derek Hansen shakmatt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 04:52:47 PST 2008

I have found that the IRB's that I have worked with (and I assume you
will be working with as a student in the U.S.) have not been sources
of good insights on the ethics of online studies, as they haven't
understood the online world. This may not be the case for you, but I
would recommend that you decide what seems ethically responsible
independent of the IRB and then take it to them with your reasoning.

You may want to consider what has been published on the subject. The
two references I know of off the top of my head that are decent and
will help you think through the issues are:
1) http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/323/7321/1103
2) www.apa.org/science/apainternetresearch.pdf

My personal opinion is that it is fine to not get informed consent
when dealing with data that was clearly posted online in a completely
public setting (as opposed to in a community that requires
registration). However, I would think about the sensitivity of the
data and desires of the authors when deciding whether or not to use
actual usernames and direct quotes from the postings. For example, if
the intended audience to the content was clearly a small group of
friends and not the "world at large" then I would likely not use
actual usernames and not use large direct quotes (that would be easily
searchable and tracable to the individual) in publications unless I
had first received permission from the individual. However, if the
content was published to gain recognition and for a large audience
then I would be more inclined to use the actual username and directly
quote from messages.

Derek Hansen
The iSchool at Maryland