[Air-L] CourseFeed + Facebook = Social Learning

Yu-li Hsieh (Patrick) yhsieh3 at uic.edu
Thu May 22 20:54:53 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I don't know about you, but I think I've just read some coywriting materials
from a dot.com site.
(http://www.coursefeed.com/social_learning.html)

Yet, the frame of this piece is kind of interesting, and it makes me wonder,
since when learning is not social, and school is not a social instituion
that socialize and 'educate' people, and hence now we need some new
technology to MAKE learning social. To s

While I agree incorportaing the use of blackboard, facebook, wikipedia and
other web-based technologies would provide different contexts and
experience, and it may change the dynamics of interaction between instructor
and students, I don't really see how those differences are more 'social'
than the old  ways.

The frame is just like the Dumbest Generation book, tries so hard to point
out that "things ain't what they used to be".
Well, the delivery technologies do change, I'll give you that. But the
social/sociological meanings of 'things' ??

regards

Yu-li