[Air-L] IR 10.0 CFP is out!

Susanna Paasonen susanna.paasonen at helsinki.fi
Wed Nov 19 01:25:45 PST 2008

Dear all,

I'm very glad to announce that the Call for Papers for IR 10.0
conference, Internet: Critical has been announced! The conference web
site is up at http://ir10.aoir.org/

best wishes,
Susanna

Call for Papers

Internet Research 10.0
Internet: Critical

The 10th Annual International and Interdisciplinary Conference of the
Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR)

October 7-11, 2009
Hilton Milwaukee City Center
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

As the Internet has become an increasingly ubiquitous and mundane
medium, the analytical shortcomings of the division between the online
and the offline have become evident. Shifting the focus to the
fundamental intermeshing of online and offline spaces, networks,
economies, politics, locations, agencies, and ethics, Internet: Critical
invites scholars to consider material frameworks, infrastructures, and
exchanges as enabling constraints in terms of online phenomena.
Furthermore, the conference invites considerations of Internet research
as a critical practice and theory, its intellectual histories,
investments, and social reverberations. How do we, as Internet
researchers, connect our work to social concerns or cultural
developments both local and global, and what kinds of agency may we
exercise in the process? What kinds of redefinitions of the political
(in terms of networks, micropolitics, participation, lifestyles,
resistant or critical practices) are necessary when conceptualizing
Internet cultures within the current geopolitical and geotechnological
climate?

To this end, we call for papers, panel proposals, and presentations from
any discipline, methodology, and community, and from conjunctions of
multiple disciplines, methodologies and academic communities that
address the conference themes, including papers that intersect and/or
interconnect the following:

• critical moments, elements, practices
• critical theories, methods, constructs
• critical voices, histories, texts
• critical networks, junctures, spaces
• critical technologies, artifacts, failures
• critical ethics, interventions, alternatives.

Sessions at the conference will be established that specifically address
the conference themes, and we welcome innovative, exciting, and
unexpected takes on those themes. We also welcome submissions on topics
that address social, cultural, political, legal, aesthetic, economic,
and/or philosophical aspects of the Internet beyond the conference
themes. In all cases, we welcome disciplinary and interdisciplinary
submissions as well as international collaborations from both AoIR and
non-AoIR members.

SUBMISSIONS

We seek proposals for several different kinds of contributions. We
welcome proposals for traditional academic conference PAPERS and we also
welcome proposals for ROUNDTABLE SESSIONS that will focus on discussion
and interaction among conference delegates, as well as organized PANEL
PROPOSALS that present a coherent group of papers on a single theme.

DEADLINES

Call for Papers Released: 15 November 2008
Submissions Due: 1 February 2009
Notification: 15 March 2009

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS

All papers and presentations in this session will be evaluated in a
standard blind peer review.

Format

- PAPERS (individual or multi-author) - submit abstract of 600-800 words

-FULL PAPERS (OPTIONAL): For submitters requiring peer review of full
papers, manuscripts of up to 8,000 words will be accepted for review.
These will be reviewed and judged separately from abstract submissions

- PANEL PROPOSALS - submit a 600-800 word description of the panel
theme, plus 250-500 word abstract for each paper or presentation

- ROUNDTABLE PROPOSALS - submit a statement indicating the nature of the
roundtable discussion and interaction
Papers, presentations and panels will be selected from the submitted
proposals on the basis of multiple blind peer review, coordinated and
overseen by the Program Chair. Each individual is invited to submit a
proposal for 1 paper or 1 presentation. A person may also propose a
panel session, which may include a second paper that they are
presenting. An individual may also submit a roundtable proposal. You may
be listed as co-author on additional papers as long as you are not
presenting them.

PUBLICATION OF PAPERS

Selected papers from the conference will be published in a special issue
of the journal Information, Communication & Society, edited by Caroline
Haythornwaite and Lori Kendall. Authors selected for submission for this
issue have already been contacted prior to the conference.

All papers submitted to the conference system will be available to AoIR
members after the conference.

PRE-CONFERENCE WORKSHOPS

On October 7, 2009, there will be a limited number of pre-conference
workshops which will provide participants with in-depth, hands-on and/or
creative opportunities. We invite proposals for these pre-conference
workshops. Local presenters are encouraged to propose workshops that
will invite visiting researchers into their labs or studios or locales.
Proposals should be no more than 1000 words, and should clearly outline
the purpose, methodology, structure, costs, equipment and minimal
attendance required, as well as explaining its relevance to the
conference as a whole. Proposals will be accepted if they demonstrate
that the workshop will add significantly to the overall program in terms
of thematic depth, hands on experience, or local opportunities for
scholarly or artistic connections. These proposals and all inquiries
regarding pre-conference proposals should be submitted as soon as
possible to both the Conference Chair and Program Chair and no later
than March 31, 2009.
Conference Workshops: http://conferences.aoir.org/workshops.htm

CONTACT INFORMATION

Program Chair: Susanna Paasonen, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
Conference Co-Chairs and Coordinators: Elizabeth Buchanan, Michael
Zimmer, UW-Milwaukee School of Information Studies and Center for
Information Policy Research; Steve Jones, University of Illinois-Chicago
Vice-President of AoIR: Mia Consalvo, Ohio University
Association Website: http://www.aoir.org

Conference Website: http://conferences.aoir.org

SPONSORS (partial list)**

• School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
• Center for Information Policy Research, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
• Department of Communication Studies, University of Illinois-Chicago
• Center for Information and Society and the Department of
Communication, University of Washington
• American Society for Information Science and Technology—Wisconsin Chapter

**Institutions or organizations interested in sponsorship opportunities
should contact Elizabeth Buchanan—eliz1679 at uwm.edu