[Air-L] Participation inequality - querying the crowd

Sarita Yardi sarita.yardi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 06:01:16 PDT 2008

Neat question Bernie,

I'd be interested in a summary of what you find. It seems like the
1990s rhetoric of the digital divide and access is dying (in the U.S.,
not worldwide). I'm more concerned about types of participation being
unequal. One paper I like that may be of interest is Eszter
Hargittai's "Whose Space? Differences Among Users and Non-Users of
Social Network Sites".

It looks at how differences in race, gender, and ethnicity influence
participation. It's not about motivation--which your question
asks--but the Discussion section does look to explore some of the
findings towards this end.

http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol13/issue1/hargittai.html

--
Human-Centered Computing
College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology