[Air-L] Credentials

Gilbert B. Rodman gbrodman at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 18 21:08:37 PDT 2009

Hi, Rasha (and company) --

Since I was one of those who responded with an objection to your
original request, let me pipe up to say that I appreciate the grace and
courtesy with which you've responded below -- and to assure you that I,
at least, took no offense to said request.  So, IMHO, no apology on your
part is actually necessary.

I'd extend my earlier objection a bit -- in a friendly and respectful
fashion, mind you -- by noting that the specific desire you express
below ("to know more about the people posting messages," which is a
pretty open-ended sort of curiosity) is different from your original
request (wanting people to cite their credentials, which privileges a
fairly narrow range of information about those people) in some pretty
crucial ways.  And I can appreciate the former much more than the
latter.  I certainly can't claim to know you well, but I suspect that I
have a much better sense of who you are from seeing how you respond to
the people who responded to your posts than I do from the fairly cold
and impersonal facts that turn up in your signature.  To be sure, there
are contexts in which those sorts of professional facts will matter a
great deal.  If, for example, I'm trying to convince my department chair
to pay for you to come to my campus and give a talk, for example, the
credentials on your c.v. will matter much more than whether you can
compose witty and charming emails.  But I'm not sure this listserv is
necessarily (or even usually) such a context.

Moreover, what you call "public" settings (and, yes, it's a matter of
debate whether this listserv is truly "public") are arguably *less*
likely to be places where such credentials are routinely shared -- or
where they matter.  On a street corner, in a cafe, on a city bus (etc.),
you're not likely to know the professional credentials (or even the
names) of most of the people with whom you share those spaces.  You can
(and presumably do) still interact with many of those people on a
regular basis -- and if you happen to share professional (or personal)
information with one another, it's presumably only because it somehow
matters to the immediate context of your specific interaction ... but
not because there's some general rule that you can't trust your seatmate
on the bus until you know where they went to school, where they work,
and so on.  If anything, I'd argue that it's actually *private* spaces
where the "right" to have detailed information about other people's
identities and backgrounds is more likely to come into play.  If you
surprise me by showing up unexpectedly in my kitchen, for example, I
don't think I'm out of line to demand to know who you are and why you're
rummaging through my freezer.  But if you surprise me by showing up
unexpectedly (from my perspective, anyway) at the corner of Washington
and Cedar Avenues, I've got no inherent right to demand that you
identify yourself and explain your presence.  :)

cheers
gil